Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 16, 2009 Evening Before The Start of the Challenge

Jim and I arrived in Detroit, actually St. Clair Shore, where we met the others who plan to do this challenge for dinner.

Dan Smith is from Portland, MI and was a very close friend of Verlin Kruger and the person who's heading up the Verlin Kruger Memorial Park. I met Dan the year before I started my Atlantic to Pacific trek. On a football clinic trip the spring of 2005 I stopped to see Dan and get info on the Kruger Canoe. He was very helpful and shared numerous stories about canoeing and Verlin Kruger.

Mark Prezdwojewski was also there. He was Verlen Kruger's apprentice for many years and upon his death took over and continues to build the Kruger Canoe. I actually bought number 213 from him in 2005. Great young man and a very accomplished paddler. From what I heard and seen he's doing an excellent job in carrying on the canoe legacy of Verlin.


The rest at dinner were Charlie Parmalee who did this challenge last year and Toby Nipper, who came all the way from Florida to do the challenge. Others not doing the challenge were Bob Bradford, Mel Herrera and Gloria Kelly. Mel bought dinner for everyone. Thanks Mel.

All except Jim and I were camping out at Mel and Gloria's home. By Jim's request our camping spot was the Red Roof Inn.

As you can imagine there was a lot of excitement and lot of stories. I sat back and listened, thinking this Kruger guy had to be a special person to have these friends come together and there will be more as we go on this journey and paddle 400 and some miles in his memory. For now I'm the outsider, but hopefully tomorrow I will start to earn their friendship too.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home